24/03/2013

In Full Swing

My last exhibition has just come down and it was really wonderful to see so many works finding loving homes. It is a real joy meeting the people who connect with these pieces and sometimes I even get to see them in situ in their new homes which is truly a thrill. Now my mind turns towards my next body of work.

The theme of my next exhibition was inspired by my recent trip to England. There Sherwood Forest, Norman keeps and Pre-Raphaelite art wove poetry around my soul and so I have decided to give in to the desire to create a collection of works based on historical heroines.

I recently discovered the poem 'The Lady of Shalott' by Alfred, Lord Tennyson and it struck a deep and resonant chord within me. Throughout my life certain personalities assert themselves again and again and Joan of Arc, Cleopatra and Ophelia are a few examples of this. I can't wait to see the works begin to take shape.

Just this moment I have purchased from a very lovely lady this incredible work;


I couldn't think of anything more delightful to place a reworked butterfly on top of!

I have also purchased an online course by Professor Bonnie Wheeler called 'Medieval Heroines In History And Literature;' 


This course presents the lives, based on the latest scholarly interpretations, of four medieval women who still shimmer in the modern imagination: Heloise, the abbess and mistress of Abelard; the prophet Hildegard of Bingen; the legendary Queen Eleanor of Aquitaine; and the woman-warrior 
and saint, Joan of Arc.



I'm on my way.