24/06/2013

Pukekura Park

Pukekura Park Lake
I wish I could find the images of Edwardian ladies in their white lawn dresses and parasols and gentlemen in their day suits wandering around Pukekura park that are on display at this wonderful place. The best I could do was this postcard on Pukekura park's website www.pukekura.org.nz. I didn't have very much time this morning to take in the entire park but what I did see was impressive. The wet greens and towering tree ferns trimming the lakes and lawns were such a delight and I was surprised to discover such a large park in the center of this little city. I was told to seek out the fernery and it wasn't long before I came upon the series of glass houses connected by cave-like tunnels dripping with ferns. Within precious flora vie for dominance like too many jewels in a glass jewelry box and anyone who knows me knows that I can never have enough jewels! I can't wait until all my things arrive so I can go down and do some sketching. I'm sure the white orchids with their bright purple stripes and strange blue poker flowers will all make an appearance in my next collection of works.